Zuppa Toscana: Olive Garden taste a-like :)
You may want to save this one to your Favorites because yeah, it's that good!
1 lb. Johnsonville Hot Italian sausage, links or ground. (Or your favorite sausage)
(use hot to get that signature Olive Garden flavor or mild to medium if you can't take the heat)
4-6 russet potatoes, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes.
1 onion, diced, not sliced.
1/4 c. REAL bacon pieces
2 Tbsp minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
32 oz. chicken broth
1 c. kale or Swiss chard, chopped (or spinach)
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp flour
- Brown sausage links in a sauté pan. Johnsonville also has ground sausage that you can use and break into chuncks while it cooks.
- Take the sausage out of the pan and let cool to touch. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
- Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
- 30 minutes before serving: Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
- Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
- Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
- Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
Don't want to wait for a slow cooker?
- Take the sausage out of the pan and let cool to touch. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices. (I prefer ground sausage)
- Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes, 4 c. water and onion in a pot.
- Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
- Add bacon. (other recipes say "optional" I say it's a must :) )
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Turn to low heat.
- Add kale and cream.
- Heat through and serve.
Don't worry about having left overs, because IF you happen to have some left over... BONUS! You'll get to enjoy it again real soon!
Recipe Comments - Must be logged into Facebook to comment
View or add your comments on this recipe below. You can choose to have it show on your Facebook wall or just on this page.