Here's a great tasting tomato and bacon soup. I used some frozen tomatoes from the garden. YES I SAID FROZEN TOMATOES! I know, it sounds crazy but we had a mess of Roma tomatoes. We had a hard freeze so we had to harvest. So what do you do with about 12lbs of Roma tomatoes when you get them all at once? Yeah I know, I could have canned them, made sauces etc. But I was too lazy, so I read that you could freeze them! Viola! So I froze them 2lbs at a time. You can't thaw and slice them, but you can toss them into your soups and stews! So today I made a Delicious Tomato and Bacon soup!
2lbs tomatoes (about 12 large roma tomatoes. I used my frozen ones)
10 or more slices of bacon (the extra is for putting on top, so feel free to make more for leftovers!)
1 medium chopped yellow onions
1 cups of chopped carrots
1 cups of chopped celery (about 4 stalks chopped)
4 cloves of minced garlic
2 cups of chicken broth
¼ cup basil chopped
2 cup shredded cheese (Use your favorite! I used cheddar)
Garnish (cilantro, parsley, or green onion)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add frozen tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, basil and chicken broth to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat so that it’s nice and crispy.
- Reserve about a ½ cup of the bacon to top each bowl.
- Add the remaining bacon to the soup once it’s cooked and chopped or crumbles.
- Use an immersion blender to get everything nice and smooth. Or you can use a blender.
- Add the cheese about an hour before serving so it melts and thickens the soup.
- Add bacon, garnishes (green onion, cilantro, or parsley), a little pepper and you’re ready to serve!
Recipe Comments - Must be logged into Facebook to comment
View or add your comments on this recipe below. You can choose to have it show on your Facebook wall or just on this page.