- 5 lb fresh pork roast (shoulder/butt)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup apple juice
- Place fresh pork roast fat side up on rack in shallow roasting pan. Score fat layer in diamonds or squares.
- Insert meat thermometer into centre of meat without touching bone.
- Roast, uncovered, in 325º oven for 1 hour.
- While pork roasts prepare apple glaze:
- Melt butter or margarine in small saucepan.
- Saute shredded onion until soft.
- Thoroughly mix together cornstarch, brown sugar, soy sauce, ground ginger and apple juice.
- Pour into onions in pan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick.
- Brush part of the glaze over meat. Continue roasting, brushing pork every 15 minutes, 1hour longer until glazed sparkling brown and thermometer registers 170 and pork is tender (allow about 35 minutes per pound roasting time).
- Let roast stand on warm platter 10-15 minutes to make carving easier. Makes 5-6 servings.
Recipe Comments - Must be logged into Facebook to comment
View or add your comments on this recipe below. You can choose to have it show on your Facebook wall or just on this page.