Chili, Soups & Stews
Recipe ID: 279
15 Bean and Leftover Ham Soup in Slow Cooker
Got leftover ham from the holidays? This is a great recipe to use up some of that leftover ham, or a fresh ham. Either way, soup always warms the soul and this 15 bean and ham soup in the slow cooker is delicious! Great for New Years Day too!Ingredients: 1 package of dried 15 bean soup (found with other dry beans in your grocery store)1lb leftover ham (leftover hambone with meat on it works great too! Or a 1lb ham)1 medium diced onion1 can diced tomato (14.5oz)1 diced garlic clove4 cooked slices of bacon chopped (4 or more, I mean you can't have too much bacon)4 roasted, pealed, diced green chiles (or 1 small can diced green chiles)8 cups chicken stock1/2 cup fine chopped parsley (helps reduce the gas :) )Directions:
Hope You Enjoy!
- Rinse dried beens and remove any debris if there is any. No need to soak beans.
- Chop up your ham if you are not using a hambone. We used our leftover honey glazed spiral ham.
- Place all ingredients: beans, ham, onion, garlic, green chiles, tomatoes, bacon, chicken stock and parsley in your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours
- If you are using a hambone with meat on it, after about 4 hours remove it and chop all the meat off of it and add the meat back in.
- Serve with some cornbread (Look up my New Mexican Cornbread with Hatch Green Chiles!)