Recipe ID: 285
The BEST Small Batch Chicken Enchiladas
This is just a small batch of the best enchiladas. Great for 2 - 4 people with no leftovers, so if you are feeding more or just want leftovers (which is a great idea), just double or tripple this recipe. I've also halved the Red Enchilada sauce recipe to work with this small batch. Trust me, once you make these you will want to make the again! And SOON!Red Enchilade Sauce for this recipe: (Yes you can use canned if you must, but making it is very easy)Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil2 Tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour1 tbsp red chili powder (if you want it hot use a 1/4 cup or more depending on how hot you like it)1/2 tsp garlic1/2 tsp salt1/4 tsp cumin1/4 tsp Mexican oregano2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (2 cups is 1/2 box of store bought chicken stock)Directions:
Ingredients for Chicken Enchiladas
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat
- Add flour and stir/whisk together over the heat for one minute
- Stir/whisk in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano)
- Gradually add the chicken or vegetable stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 - 15 minutes until thick
- Let stand until your enchiladas are ready for sauce
2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts3 Tablespoons olive oilSaltPepperCuminChili powderMexican Oregano (regular works too)1/2 Teaspoon minced garlic8 Corn tortillas1 Small tomato diced1/2 Medium onion diced1 1/2 Cups shredded cheese (4 cheese blend or Mexican shredded cheese)1 Cup Sour cream
Serve and Enjoy!
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and Mexican oregano on both sides and rub in.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in pan to medium to high heat.
- Add your chicken breasts to pan and cook for approximately 20 - 25 minutes until cooked to a golden brown and 165 degrees inside temp.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred/chop into small pieces.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to your pan of remaining juices from the chicken.
- Add your diced onion and brown a couple minutes then add your diced tomatoes and minced garlic and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add your shredded chicken.
- Add a couple ladles of your red enchilada sauce. (Appox. 1 cup) and mix well. Cook for a minute or 2 and turn off the heat.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream and combine the mixture
- Prepare your corn tortillas by heating 1 at a time in a pan of medium heat oil or dampen a paper towel and wrap your tortillas and microwave for 1 minute to soften.
- Coat the bottom of your baking pan with enchilada sauce.
- Add a couple spoonfulls of chicken mixture to each softened tortilla, roll and place seam side down in your baking dish
- Note: Your chicken mixture will be a little runny but that's OK, just add to the tortilla and roll gently. You will get the hang of it.
- Once your pan is full, spread a 1/2 cup of sour cream on top
- Cover with remaining enchilada sauce.
- Top with a cup of shredded cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 30 minutes.