Chili, Soups & Stews
Recipe ID: 289
Pork Green Chili in a Slow Cooker
This slow cooker pork green chili is not only easy to make but very tasty! And any leftovers can be used to smother anything from burrito's to hamburgers and breakfast to dinner. It's that good! Now, you will see the use of enchilada sauce from a can but don't worry. By the end of cooking you won't even notice you cheated ;)Ingredients
- 2lbs of pork. I like to use the small pork shoulders from Smithfield. Usually come in 2 - 4lbs and I keep them frozen.
- 2 - 28 ounce Cans of your favorite green chile enchilada sauce.
- 1 16 ounce Jar of your favorite salsa verde.
- 1 14.5 ounce Can diced tomatoes.
- 5 - 6 roasted, peeled and diced hatch green chili's. Or 2 4.5 ounce cans chopped green chiles will work.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon granulated garlic or 2 garlic cloves, diced.
- 1/2 White onion diced.
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil for pan.
- 1 Teaspoon cumin.
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper.
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mexican oregano.
- 2 Tablespoons Corn starch plus 2 Tablespoons of water.
- Package of shredded Jack Cheese or some good Mexican cheese.
Serve with some shredded Jack Cheese and Enjoy!Note: If you are not using frozen pork, start from number 6 but be sure to add your onions and spices to the pork while you are browing it.How Hot is this? As hot or mild as you like. If you don't want it too hot, buy mild green chili's and mild salsa. And of course adjust your heat accordingly. You control how hot you want it.
- If you use a frozen 2 pound pork shoulder like I do. Place in slow cooker frozen.
- Add diced onion. I like to put the onion on the bottom and then add the pork shoulder.
- Add garlic, cumin and Mexican oregano on top of pork.
- Slow cook on low for 2 hours. (2 hours will thaw your frozen pork shoulder enough so you can cut into squares)
- Remove the thawed pork shoulder and cut into about 1/2 squares.
- IF YOU DON'T USE FROZEN PORK CUT YOUR PORK INTO 1/2inch SQUARES AND CONTINUE.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and brown the pork for about 5 minutes over a medium high heat.
- Add your browned pork to the crock pot. (Browning the pork helps keep it firm while slow cooking)
- Add diced green chili's, Salsa, diced tomatoes and Green Enchilada Sauce and stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 - 7 more hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, whisk cornstarch and water in a small bowl and add to the slow cooker.
- Place lid back onto the slow cooker and let thicken. It will get thicker as it cools.