5 Tbsp vegetable, canola oil, lard or bacon fat
1/4 cup all-purpose or gluten-free flour
2 - 3 Tbsp red chile powder (if you want it hot use a 1/4 cup or more depending on how hot you like it)
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano (optional)
4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock (4 cups is 1 box of store bought chicken stock)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat
- Add flour and stir/whisk together over the heat for 1 - 2 minutes
- Gradually add the chicken, beef or vegetable stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps
- Stir/whisk in the remaining seasonings (chile powder through oregano)
- Bring to a boil then,
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 - 15 minutes until thick
Pour immediately over your enchiladas or other dish. Or refrigerate in an air-tight container for use within 2 weeks.
Hope you Enjoy!
Recipe Comments - Must be logged into Facebook to comment
View or add your comments on this recipe below. You can choose to have it show on your Facebook wall or just on this page.