|Preparation Time in Minutes||55|
|Cooking Time in Minutes||30|
|Servings||5 - 7|
1lb Hot Italian Sausage (ground or links I prefer Johnsonville)
1 Package Manicotti noodles (has 14 noodles)
1 Container (15oz) whole-milk ricotta
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3 cups marinara sauce (1 24oz jar - I like Newman's Own)
2 tablespoons stick butter cut into 1/4 inch pieces
Salt and about a tablespoon olive oil or cooking spray
- Cook your ground Italian sausage in a skillet until no longer pink. Break the sausage into fine pieces while cooking. If you use links remove from casing.
- While your sausage is cooking, get your large salted pot of water for the noodles boiling.
- When your sausage is cooked, drain off the oil in a strainer and let cool.
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- By now your water should be boiling. Cook the noodles 5 - 7 minutes or by the package instructions.
- Remove your noodles to a wire rack and let cool. Or a cookie sheet, but oil the cookie sheet so the noodles don't stick.
- While your noodles are cooking. Combine the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan and cooled sausage in a medium bowl.
- Prepare a 13 x 9 glass baking dish by brushing a tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom or use a cooking spray.
- Add 1/2 of the marinara sauce to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Fill each manicotti noodle with your sausage and cheese mixture using a small spoon.
- Layer your filled manicotti in a single layer in your prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over your stuffed manicotti.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese over the top.
- Dot the top with the 1/4 inch pieces of butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes. You should see your sauce bubbling on the sides.
- Let stand 5 minutes and serve.
You will notice this recipe doesn't require onions, garlic or other Italian spices. By using hot Italian sausage and marinara sauce, the additional spices are not necessary. That's not to say you can't add some if you like, but this recipe turns out great with the few ingredients listed.
Hope you enjoy!
Recipe Comments - Must be logged into Facebook to comment
View or add your comments on this recipe below. You can choose to have it show on your Facebook wall or just on this page.